Search
  • Anne Singh

WANNA KNOW ABOUT MOBILE STATISTICS? NOW YOU CAN !


“I think the biggest change, and the one we’re already starting to see take shape, is that globally the majority of internet usage will be done via a mobile device and for most people the mobile web will be their primary – if not their only – way of experiencing the internet.”

Quoted by Peter Rojas

The number of smartphone users is exponentially growing. Yet, the users’ behaviour with mobile apps may be a mystery. Users keep their mobile in proximity and check them often. However, a high percentage of those users are likely to unlock their smartphones without having any specific purpose in mind. Having opened the smartphone, what do they really click on, explore, download, browse, or avoid on their smartphone? You’ll get answers of all the questions during this interesting app usage statistics.

AGE AND GENDER

As expected, younger adults spend longer on apps than older adults. There’s steady decrease within the usage for older demographics. Those with ending 65+ years olds, who spend 51.4 hours a month on apps or about 1 hour 43 minutes every day.



TIME OF THE APP USAGE

The users spent most time on social media apps followed by Gaming and Communication apps. If we compare these app usage statistics with the popularity of the apps we discover some striking observations. Though the e-commerce and retail apps have need-based popularity but the usage in minutes is high because people take time to form decisions in buying a product. Similar deductions are often made in Finance and Music apps.

HOW DO THEY USE THE APPS

It’s no secret mobile phones get around: at home, throughout the day, at work, while watching TV, during commutes, in washrooms, and beyond. Since mobile devices are always with their masters, time and site play an enormous role in defining their context of use.

People shift the way they hold and touch their devices counting on the input that's necessary, the position on the screen that they're trying to tap, and their context.




GOOGLE PLAY AND APP STORE

The volume of iOS apps available within the App Store at 1.84 million from 2.2 million as of January 2020. App store have offloaded apps thanks to privacy and quality concerns from previous year. Aside from that, App store showed a uniform growth over the years.

As stated earlier, the process of getting listed on the iOS App Store is noted for being tougher than getting a Play Store listing. We saw 39,000 and 38,000 apps between Jan and Feb 2020 per month added to the App Store.

FREE VS PAID , GAMES VS APPS

Google Play Store also saw a big drop 112,000 to 97.000 app releases thanks to google new updates, launches and guidelines to avoid malware.

Breaking available apps on the iOS App Store and Play Store down, we find 90% of App Store apps available are free, with the remaining 10% paid. And those among paid are priced below $1. While it is widely understood that iOS users are more willing to pay for apps that Android users, we might note here that an overwhelming majority of apps are available for free. Perhaps this also reflects a wider shift toward a freemium, with revenue generated through in-app purchases, rather than initial outlay on the app itself.

Number of App Installs & Actual Usage

There were 204 billion apps downloaded in 2019 and therefore the average person has 40 apps installed on the phone. Out of that 40 apps, 89% of the time is split between 18 apps. This suggests, quite half those apps remain unused. What does this mean?

Millennials have quite 67 apps installed over the phone, however, the amount of the commonly used app remains just 25.

With the rise within the age bracket, the amount of apps installed decreases.


The following chart depicts the typical number of apps installed vs apps used for

various sets of ages.


“Mobile is becoming not only the new digital hub, but also the bridge to the physical world. That’s why mobile will affect more than just your digital operations — it will transform your entire business.”

Quoted by Thomas Husson

972 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All