“The advance of technology is based on making it fit in so that you don't really
even notice it, so it's part of everyday life.”
- Bill Gates, Co-founder of Microsoft.
WHAT IS DAILYHUNT?
Daily hunt is a news application founded by Virender Gupta, an alumnus of IIT Bombay, 2007. He is a pioneer in recognizing the importance of internet business and its up-raging growth. The Parent company of dailyhunt is Verse Innovation Pvt Ltd, which was instituted by Virender Gupta in 2007. This app was created by two ex-Nokia employees Umesh Kulkarni and Chandrashekhar Sohoni in 2009. Newshunt, which was later changed into DAILYHUNT was first created as a Symbian app. It was initially released on September 18, 2010 in iOS. Later it was available on Android version in 2011. This app provides local language content in almost 14 Indian languages.
Verse Innovation Pvt Ltd procured Newshunt in 2012, and later changed into Dailyhunt.
· This app focuses on local languages and give customers information according to their preferred languages. This is one of the major advantages of the app, which helped reach people at a vast rate.
· It launched a job search feature, but it failed. Since the company underestimated the emerging of the exertion in gathering jobs. They failed to get jobs to all the applied clients.
· They decided to keep the app light weight and made sure that it did not exceed more than 10 megabytes. They reduced the file size of images, so that the articles would download faster.
· The app also has an in-app e-bookstore, in which the payments were made through various methods.
· Some of the new features are watching live TV channels, dark and light mode, blocking newspaper, saving articles. Etc.,
· They have other features lined up that is yet to arrive, which includes enabling consumers to prepare for exams like government, banking, etc.,
Dailyhunt has over 300 million active users across the world. Isn’t it a grand success! Virender Gupta in 2012, had learnt the growth of the internet and the rise in the need for usage of it in the coming years. Dailyhunt was started in 2012, when there was not much usage of smartphones or internet. But Virender has thought through and has rightly landed it to more than 300 million people.
He rightly believed that India wasn’t, and still isn’t, a predominantly English-speaking market. “The next 400 million mobile internet users will be local language users. Now, they won’t consume the Internet if it doesn’t talk to them [in their language],” said Virendra.
Only 1 out of 10 Indians can read English, and the rest are literates in other languages like Hindi, Telugu, and other local languages. So, they decided to work on that and now it provides news content in nearly 14 regional languages. Dailyhunt acquires news from more than 2500 publishers. This app acquires almost three million monthly pageviews, which displays its extraordinary growth. According to mobile analytics firm App Annie, it has been ranked one of the top 10 news app and number one news app in 19 countries, which ranges from Asia to the Mid-East, South America and Eastern Europe.
A Bangalore Based start-up company owned app is now one of the top news apps in the world. And it is no surprise that many giant companies invest in it. There are nearly 17 investors which includes companies like Alphabet, Microsoft, Google and others. Dailyhunt becomes India's first tech unicorn app, to get a funding of over $100 million led by Google, Microsoft and Falcon Edge’s Alpha Wave Incubation at an estimation of more than $1 billion. On Dec 22,2020 Google announced that it is investing in Dailyhunt. It also received an amount of $19 million investment from Toutiao, a Beijing Based company. Apart from this there are many more investors.
The verse innovation Company in July 2020 has launched short video engaging app called JOSH. This has also reached more than 100 million downloads. The success of the company continues to go on…